Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pregnancy Day 135:
Welp. Don't I feel like an asshole. All that crap about "knowing" and "our sun"...sigh. Such an idiot. Obviously my subconscious knows more then I allow myself to believe because....

IT'S A GIRL!!

At least that's what the three lines tell us and since we didn't go to school for however long to study ultrasound technology, Alan and I took her word for it. We also took her word for it when she pointed out the kidneys and the liver and even showed us this foot the first time.By the end of the appointment I found myself shouting out body parts like a game of Pictionary. We were mostly wrong.

(That's her foot) 
Here is the good news: 
- We can start saying "she" instead of "it" or "the lil (insert fruit in terms of growth).
- She's already stubborn and refused to turn around and show her face. Just wanted to be left alone to nap.
- Everything looks good as far as they can tell. Great looking spine, head size and all ten fingers and toes (I think).
- I cried a little. ONLY A LITTLE! And instantly reassured my husband that he could indeed get a boy dog when the time comes.

There was some other news though: 
           My mother successfully had three children, that's obviously the important part, but they were not without complications. She has what's considered a incompetent cervix, a heart shaped uterus and when she had me the lining of the amniotic sack deteriorated. Before I get into that part, here's an awesome photo of us when my sister graduated last year to prove how even dire circumstances can be overcome (as far as the uterus goes - not my sister graduating, she's really smart haha).

(My brother and I are not twins, usually he looks more like my sister and doesn't have red hair)

Now everything that happened to me is not genetic. It was a rare fluke that may or may not be the result of poor medical care. Who really knows. At the end of the day my mother's uterus became a toxic waste land and I needed out. Even if it was three months early. Here I am today a relatively healthy 28 year old, so the odds can suck it. That being said, I was still nervous to see if the ultrasound would hold this:



(this was the best photo I could find, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT TRY AND GOOGLE THIS ISSUE. I AM NOW TRAUMATIZED. HOLY FUCK GOOGLE)

Basically what happens is as the lining of the amniotic sack deteriorates, it wraps around the baby not unlike a shredded plastic bag might. Only these pieces are basically razor sharp and can result in very bad news. I got extremely EXTREMELY lucky.

As far as the heart shaped uterus (DON'T GOOGLE THAT EITHER!) goes, it looks very friendly and depending on the severity isn't always harmful. My siblings just had to chill like this for the most part:

 

Now back to ME! After I shared some of this family history with the ultrasound tech, she realized that I too might have a special shaped uterus (how fun!) so she called in a doctor. The doctor confirmed that I don't have one, but I do have an extra piece of tissue coming off my uterus. Alan tried to equate it to a cubical wall in an office building. My initial thoughts went something like "Umm? What? How? Why? Is it hurting the baby? Will it shred? Did birth control do this? How long has it been there? Can she grab onto it? Will it puncture the amniotic sack? Will she have smooshed parts because this "tissue" is in the way? WTF!?" but all that came out was "...OK..."

I tried to Google anything I could find that might help me better explain it here or to myself but nothing comes up. The doctor assured me that it shouldn't affect the baby or the delivery but that they'd monitor as time when on to be sure. He explained how hard it was to see now that I was pregnant, but also wasn't something they would ever see or know about when doing an annual pap smear. So how I was supposed to find out about this issue, I'll never know. They also never said anything seemed strange when we looked at it at my 7 week ultrasound. SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?

It means we wait. We take the doctors word for it and get to see more video of our little girl moving around. You guys I'm (err we're!) having a baby girl and my emotions are about to be OUT OF CONTROL. Please buy my husband a beer when you see him around town. I already want to cry. It was as if a light blub went off and my hormones finally realized I have two vaginas (or one and 3 lines) so the tears and dopy happiness can come streaming out at anytime! I seriously can't wait to meet her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment