Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lists lists lists....

Growing up, I never had an answer to what everyone considered the most important question. I could never visualize concrete images of my future self. "What do you want to do when you grow up?" was only ever responded with a shrug or a slightly sarcastic "I dunno, happy?" After enough years and enough frustrated sighs from my parents I began to believe that NOT knowing what I wanted to do forever meant I didn't know how to want things. So when I was 18 and sitting in my first community college course, I wrote down all the things I wanted to do.

2002 (*completed)

- Dye my hair (blue/orange/purple) - Pink*
- Go to roller skating hall of fame
- Take road-trip to California and/or Maine
- Take an award winning photograph and sell it for big bucks
- Write a teen novel
- Meet a movie star
- Find a person to take me to a place in which I can wear beautiful gowns/dresses
- Go to or participate in a modeling shoot
- Let loose, dress like a "hoe" and go clubbing
- Have a fling
- Have a storybook romance
- Invent a way to get rid of stretch marks
- Travel and live in Europe for a summer
- Spend a month being a vegetarian
- Date an artist or musician for short time
- Make-out with R, M, D , A, J and T (though not at the same time)
- Become a doctor
- Own my own business
- Work as a waitress in some greasy diner
- Become a master chess player
- Learn to bartend
- Learn how to surf
- Be a fashion editor
- Work on a movie set
- Try out for Broadway
- Learn to drive stick-shift
- Learn to shoot (a gun/bow)
- Take another dance class
- Own the roof of an apartment building
- Become some sort of icon who is later put in history books
- Sky dive, scuba dive and learn to dive
- Make an amazing tree house for my future kids
- Travel out of state on a motorcycle
- Sunbath nude
- Learn to cook well
- Swim with dolphins
- Skinny dip
- Participate in a ball
- Look amazing at my class reunion
- Figure out which finger I'll put my wedding band on
- Go to/on SNL
- Have 3 or 4 kids
- Figure out which University I want to go to
- Make-out with someone I don't know
- Visit NY again


I've been caring it around in my wallet for almost 10 years. In 2007 (at the five year mark) I made a new one.

2007 (*completed)

- Live in CA/CO/the south/Europe (and own homes accordingly)
- Visit Canada and Iceland
- Learn Italian
- Get my own column
- Learn the rules of hockey
- Create (great) art
- Write grandma's story
- Learn more about my heritage
- Change someone's world
- Go hot air ballooning
- Get a perm
- Write a book
- Get married
- Make a movie/get involved with one
- Learn to play set again
- Surf again
- Have kids
- Read more
- Gain weight beautifully
- Urban Outfitter's an apartment
- Travel once a season
- Exploit someone's talent
- Own a motorcycle
- Be in a wedding party
- Save yourself
- Have a tire swing and hammock
- Test out different religions
- Go fishing more often
- Write more letters
- Go paint-balling
- Run a company

Now as were about to enter 2012 I feel like it's time for a new one. Something to remind me that feeling/or being lost doesn't mean you have to be depressed about it.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment