Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Old friends. Old feelings. Old me...(part 2)

(continued...)


Rick: Hanging with me and his sister at my graduation party (2002) and hanging with Brandon and Amy last month (2011).


Tim: Fist pumping (2001) and chilling with Amy, Brandon Katie, Jon and I (2010).


Amy: Sharing secrets with Kristin (2005) and smiling for my birthday (2010).


Brandon: Doing our best catatonic faces (2001) and our super awkward lean smiles (2009).



Alex: At his wedding with Rick (2008) and chilling last month (2011).

Over the last twelve years we've grown together, fell in love with one another, lied to each other, cheered each other on, harbored long time crushes, laugh till we cried, hurt one another, broken up with each other, picked each other back up, said goodbye, said hello again, moved in with each other, written letters, seen each other in different time zones, supported each other, slept with and comforted one another, watch each other exchange vows and have babies. And most recently though not unexpected, drifted apart in a way where we hardly recognized one another.

Then of course there are those rare moments (when we are in the same room) where we catch eyes across the room and smile politely and briefly wonder what would've happened if we'd chosen each other instead. Then again that's probably just me.

My dad's friend of 30 plus years has been living in their basement for the last year and recently I found him down there among stacks and stack of photographs trying to scan them all onto a hard-drive. He guestimated about 250 photo albums and 500,000 photographs easy. Honest I'm not exaggerating. Anyway, first I found myself suddenly thankful for the digital age and then I started asking him why he wasn't throwing more away. (A few years before I found my mom had doing this same thing, only she had trashed hundreds of photos from weddings where the couples had been divorced for over 20 years.) Surely Stacey could part with random photos of motorcycles or car parts. He said he didn't want to. He said that every photograph was a piece of his memory and that was the one thing he didn't want to lose.

So here's to friends and photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment